Restaurant without service
- Food TechMay 30, 2023Gastronomy under pressure and how pressure cooking can help
At times, gastronomy is under quite a bit of pressure: Skills shortages, pandemics, energy crises and the like are just a few of the challenges facing restaurateurs. But what can be done to take the pressure off, or even make use...
- Food ManagementMay 25, 2023Seven tips for successful outdoor dining
As the warmer weather of spring and summer gets closer, restaurants should consider how they can add to revenues by launching an outdoor dining space. KTCHNrebel spoke with industry experts and summarized 7 tips for you how to make your outdoor...
- Food TechMay 23, 2023Unstoppable momentum? Moving the food delivery flywheel
Food delivery companies are ubiquitous in communities close to urban centers around the world. However, despite growth in revenue, profit is proving tantalizingly elusive. When will the flywheel start to spin?
- Food TrendsMay 15, 2023Vegan, sustainable, regional: The products from “The Green Mountain” are currently inspiring chefs and their guests
The Green Mountain champions nature awareness, sustainability and plant-based (professional) cuisine. The Swiss start-up develops products for the gastronomy industry that are 100% vegan and sustainable. “Green” stands for original, healthy and sustainable – and “Mountain” symbolizes the origin and regional...
- Food TrendsMay 10, 2023Plant-based seafood. The plant-based shrimp on trial.
The small, salmon-red (but plant-based) shrimp slides into the hot oil with a juicy sizzling sound. An unmistakable roasting aroma immediately. Fake wafts through the kitchen, and the gourmet's mouth starts watering. Various recipes with chili, garlic, sea salt and olive...
- Food ManagementMay 5, 2023Dynamic prices for restaurants – a future model?
Dynamic prices and pricing is nothing new in itself. These have been used in the hotel and travel industry for years. But what about gastronomy? Are dynamic prices even possible or feasible in restaurants? And if so, for which concepts?
- Food TrendsApril 18, 2023Karen’s Diner – bad service is in demand!
Unfriendly and visibly annoyed waiters are usually a no-go and why you wouldn't want to go to a place again. Not so at Karen's – here guests even pay for it. Can poor service be well received? Apparently so, because guests...
- Food ManagementApril 13, 20236 Steps to stop energy waste in professional kitchens
Up to 70 % of energy is wasted in commercial kitchens. KTCHNrebel present six strategies, from equipment choice to menu design, to stop energy waste, reduce costs, and help protect the planet.
- Food TechApril 5, 2023Dec Penfold: how food and tech are changing the meal delivery business
The combination of food and tech has provoked enormous change in both the meal delivery industry and people’s eating habits globally. But “we’ve not even scratched the surface”, says Dec’s Kitchen founder, Dec Penfold
- UncategorizedMarch 21, 2023Explore KTCHNrebel in Spanish!
Today we could finally cut our "launch cake"!
- Food ManagementMarch 16, 2023Is dynamic pricing in foodservice the cure to tough times?
Restaurants and operators in the foodservice sector are dealing with significant economic challenges. Introducing a demand-based approach to menu pricing may be the solution. An expert talk with pricing expert Torsten Olderog.
- Food ManagementFebruary 24, 2023Ghost Kitchen Convention in Amsterdam – expert panel with the Who’s Who of the food-delivery eco system
KTCHNrebel is a partner of the International Ghost Kitchen Conference, to be held in Amsterdam on March 1-3, 2023. In preview, Rational’s Stephan Leuschner discusses the Leadership Perspectives Panel he will moderate at this groundbreaking event.
- Food ManagementFebruary 16, 2023New concepts in foodservice: Sustainability surges back to the top of the agenda
With the pandemic seemingly behind us, the foodservice sector is ready to embrace a boom in social dining and once again get to grips with its impact on the environment. KTCHNrebel looks at the most recent data from Euromonitor International to...
- Food TrendsFebruary 15, 2023Flower Burger – how this vegan burger chain made its international breakthrough
Vegan burgers have long been a featured product and an important component of many snack concepts – and not just vegan ones. It is therefore becoming increasingly important for your product range to stand out from the crowd. But it is...
- Food PeopleFebruary 10, 2023These are four inspiring foodservice influencers of LinkedIn
Combining the personal and the commercial, social influencers have become a powerful marketing tool. Five foodservice influencers are leveraging LinkedIn to reach new audiences.
- Food ManagementFebruary 6, 2023Training in the foodservice industry: why it is important and how to integrate it throughout the winter
Due to the problematic lack of skilled workers in most commercial kitchens, regular training for employees is an inevitable task for restaurateurs. Here are some tips for how hospitality businesses can continue to integrate training, even during the busy and challenging...
- Food PeopleFebruary 2, 2023TiNDLE – changing minds with vegan chicken
Borna Bayat, vice president of European marketing for TiNDLE, speaks with Tina Nielsen about the evolution of the plant-based vegan chicken alternative.
- Food TechFebruary 1, 2023The metaverse: pipedream or a practical foodservice platform?
With a massive surge in technology and the rise of the virtual world it can be tricky to decipher which applications will stick around to make life easier for foodservice. Any depiction of the not-too-distant future on film of TV will...
- Food TrendsJanuary 24, 2023A plant-powered start to 2023: The rise of Veganuary
Having inspired more than a million participants over nearly 10 years, Veganuary offers consumers and operators alike the opportunity to try out meat-free in the new year.
- Food ManagementJanuary 20, 20232023’s top industry culinary predictions
If the last couple of years have been remembered as ‘the year of the pivot’ or ‘the year of challenge’ for the foodservice and hospitality sector, which factors will define 2023? KTCHNrebel makes its predictions for the major industry and cuisine...
- Food ManagementJanuary 10, 2023Q&A: Forecast for foodservice in 2023
An expert in spotting trends and forecasting in the foodservice sector, trendologist Mike Kostyo reviews the past 12 months while looking ahead to the new year 2023.
- Food TechDecember 27, 2022Ghost kitchens: A safe harbor in stormy waters?
The last TrendTalk of 2022 – the tenth so far – called upon a panel of assembled experts from across the foodservice sector to discuss how operators can be adaptable, flexible, and creative.
- Food TrendsDecember 14, 2022These are the Food Trends 2023
The world of food is accelerating, and restaurateurs, retailers and manufacturers need to make sure they don't lose touch. Good thing Hanni Rützler has now published the latest Food Report 2023. For the tenth time in a row, the renowned food...
- Food TrendsDecember 8, 2022Delicious and healthy food concept – POKE HOUSE RULES
With a growing consumer appetite for delicious healthy food, Poke House has been serving up poke bowls in its uniquely styled premises across Europe. UK Country Manager Juan Mosqueda spoke to Jacquetta Picton about its expansion plans and encouraging growth in...
- Food TrendsDecember 2, 2022The Maillard reaction – When cooking becomes a science.
The chef places a raw piece of beef in the cooking system, lets it cook for a couple of minutes with the right program and out comes a perfectly browned steak with an appetizing grill pattern – all thanks to the...
- Food ManagementDecember 1, 2022Feed the feed – Instagram for restaurants
Instagram is fast becoming an indispensable part of the marketing mix for restaurateurs. Elly Earls finds out how to get it right. 69% of Millennial diners take a photograph of their food before eating it, with 30% saying they wouldn’t go...
- Food TrendsNovember 24, 2022Food and football: What to expect from foodservice at the Qatar World Cup 2022
As three billion international viewers tune into the Football World Cup this month, Qatar has the opportunity to showcase its culture to the world, and food and foodservice will be one of the champions.
- Food ManagementNovember 22, 2022Hospitality: Rising energy prices force actions
Hospitality businesses are looking at ways to keep energy costs low as Europe faces hikes in energy bills
- Food PeopleNovember 22, 2022BettaF!sh: The tuna fish rescuers
He likes seaweed. Back when he was still studying resource management, Jacob von Manteuffel made a documentary about marine algae pioneers who were exploring cultivation and breeding options in Europe and Asia for environmentally friendly marine plants that do not need...
- Food ManagementNovember 16, 2022This is how you organize modern day kitchen routines!
What are the basic requirements for efficient kitchen organization? How can you overcome obstacles in your day-to-day work? How does digitalization help me in the kitchen? How do I work efficiently and sustainably?
- Food TechNovember 7, 2022The cultured meat market goes on safari
A New York start-up is promising to bring wild and exotic tastes to the table without harming any animals or the environment.
- Food TechOctober 19, 2022Visionaries of the foodservice future: forward-looking and future facing experts
For the ninth TrendTalk live webinar the topic of visionaries of the future brought together compelling speakers and the chance for participants to ask questions and learn some lasting lessons.
- Food TrendsSeptember 30, 2022They do it! Gastro heavyweight Enchilada takes off to new success with ghost kitchens
For years, it has been one of Germany's top-selling leisure restaurants and among the top 30 largest gastronomy companies in Germany: the Enchilada Group with many strong concepts and individual restaurants. In fact, they have around 100 businesses, which bring in...
- Food TechSeptember 8, 2022A Beastly business
Virtual restaurants and delivery-only concepts have been on the rise since the pandemic. Among the standout success stories is the young American Jimmy Donaldson and his Mr Beast’s Burgers operation.
- Food TrendsSeptember 6, 2022Bowl experience: Successfully putting 2023 food trends into effect with bowls
For guests, bowls are a guaranteed delight. For restaurateurs, they offer unmatched opportunities to position themselves as both trend-driven as well as unique. The amount of work is minimal – even with recipe ideas from a star chef!
- Food TechSeptember 2, 2022Practical robotics and the future of foodservice
The benefits of using robotics in commercial kitchens for certain tasks are becoming clearer and its usage more widespread, but is there a limit to its practical implementation?
- Food TrendsAugust 30, 2022French fries – the science behind perfectly crispy fries
Who doesn't know it, that distinctive smell that tickles our nostrils and lures us into a restaurant, snack bar or kitchen? A dish whose golden brown color is pleasing to both our eyes and palates. When you take a bite and...
- Food ManagementAugust 22, 2022Eight ways restaurateurs can help fight the climate crisis
From sourcing locally and seasonally, to planning “plant-forward” menus and making kitchens smarter and more efficient, here are eight ways restaurateurs can contribute to tackling climate change.
- Food TrendsAugust 17, 2022How the future tastes – proteins do not always have to be animal
The title of Heinz Strunk's cult novel "Fleisch ist mein Gemüse" (Meat is my Vegetable) will soon be turned on its head. Meat substitutes from alternative vegan protein sources have long since begun to overtake animal protein.
- Food TrendsAugust 8, 2022Ice cream: the science behind the frosty treat
Macadamia nut brittle, white chocolate cookie, salted-caramel cheesecake? Or do you prefer the classics—vanilla, chocolate chip, butter pecan? It's the most beautiful time of the year, and the higher the temperatures rise, the more we crave ice cream. But as we're...
- Food ManagementAugust 4, 2022Ghost kitchen models: no evolution without revolution
The ghost kitchen market continues to change apace. But which models will become the most successful in the near future? A July 2022 TrendTalk webinar, featuring expert speakers, sought to find the answers.
- Food ManagementJuly 21, 2022Managing costs for foodservice businesses in times of increasing prices
With pressures on costs due to rising food costs, energy price increases and labor shortages the margin for operators is being squeezed. We ponder the different tactics and tools hospitality businesses can take to remain viable in challenging times.
- Food PeopleJuly 4, 2022Meet eight self-made foodservice millionaires
Success in the restaurant business is notoriously challenging, but that’s not to say that it’s out of reach. These eight entrepreneurs have turned their passion – and our appetites – into some of the world’s most successful foodservice businesses. Here’s what...
- Food ManagementJune 24, 2022Enough is enough: 5 tips to put an end to Food Waste!
Every year, somewhere along the road from farms to processing plants, restaurants, and households, 1.3 billion tons of food wind up in the trash rather than in our stomachs. It’s an astonishing and thought-provoking statistic — think of the valuable environmental...
- Food TechJune 10, 2022The potential of IoT in the foodservice sector
The Internet of Things (IoT) has huge potential to transform the foodservice sector. Elly Earls finds out how.
- Food ManagementJune 8, 2022Five tips to gain positive word-of-mouth for your foodservice operation
Potential restaurant customers can consult the opinion of thousands with the click of a button, so how do you keep the conversation positive? Juliet Martin speaks to the experts.
- Food ManagementJune 6, 2022Four-day weeks: This restaurant chain’s serving work-life balance
The fate of the restaurant world seems to be hanging on the thread of personnel shortages. The entire industry is breathless from fighting over good recruits - but the solution may lie in rethinking their scheduling models. One star in the...
- Food ManagementJune 2, 2022No kitchen? No problem!
Norbert Friedl (43) runs Telia Kitchen Rentals GmbH in Lengau, Austria. His mission: to bring commercial kitchens wherever they’re needed. Fast. Customized. Perfect. And always temporary. We asked him about the peaks and challenges of his work - From planning and...
- Food TrendsMay 28, 2022Taste-testing alternative protein burgers
More and more people are trying to go meatless for health, environmental, or ethical reasons, but not all of them are willing to say goodbye to burgers — which is why there’s an entire industry working on alternatives to meat patties,...
- Food TrendsMay 28, 2022Plant-based burger – a still growing market
Demand for plant-based meat is fast on the up. KTCHNrebel finds out how three of the market leading burgers stack up.
- Food TrendsMay 20, 2022This is Umami – The unknown fifth taste
If you ask people on the street what tastes they know, most will be able to name four immediately: Sweet, salty, sour and bitter. The fifth, however, umami will name only the fewest and / or also know. But what does...
- Food ManagementMay 18, 2022Take these measures to fight the staff shortage in the foodservice industry
Even before Corona, it wasn't easy to attract job seekers to the restaurant and hospitality industry. Now many of the hard-won employees have simply left. But hope is on the horizon. These measures can help solve the shortage of skilled workers.
- Food ManagementMay 6, 2022Six tips how to beat skilled staff shortage in your kitchen
It’ll all be okay... but how? Contrary to what you might think from the atmosphere in the culinary world, the industry isn’t actually on the brink of an apocalypse. We need to get past the myth that it’s all miserable cooks, waiters,...
- Food PeopleApril 28, 2022Happy Ocean Foods: The Ocean Rescuers
Everyone is talking about meat substitutes, but what about fish substitutes? This is actually a no-brainer, since overfishing of the world's oceans has long been an issue. At least that is what Julian Hallet thinks. He is a co-founder of Happy...
- Food TechApril 22, 2022The new reality
Metaverse, augmented and virtual reality – when will the long-predicted breakthrough finally arrive? Many factors suggest that this is the year. Where technology has already gained a foothold: KTCHNrebel has the insight.
- Food TrendsMarch 3, 2022Bourbon vanilla – black Madagascar gold
Around 80 percent of the world’s vanilla is cultivated in Madagascar. Why this leads to public executions and gruesome lynchings – and what a twelve-year-old slave has to do with it.
- Food ManagementJanuary 25, 2022Top six foodservice tips for 2022
What to do in '22. The new year is here, and it's full of surprises, challenges and opportunities for the world of gastronomy. We gazed into a crystal ball and pinpointed the trends that will shape the restaurant and hospitality sector...
- Food TrendsJanuary 20, 2022This makes Dieter Meier’s Ojo de Agua cattle farm in Argentina one of the most legendary in the world
Since 1997, the Swiss pop icon Dieter Meier has run a cattle farm in the Argentinian pampas. Discover why chef of the century Eckart Witzigmann also swears by Meier's unique pasture-raised meat – and why everything depends on keeping the grass...
- Food TrendsJanuary 13, 2022Making a difference – Heroes of Hospitality 2021
From the admirable to the pioneering, we look at the men and women who have stood out from the crowd or gone the extra mile for foodservice and hospitality during an exceptionally challenging period.
- Food TrendsJanuary 5, 2022Top ten foodservice trends for 2022
Looking ahead to 2022 and beyond, to see the key trends that will dominate foodservice and hospitality
- Food TrendsDecember 30, 2021Green gastronomy – with a green conscience
Organic, fair trade, vegan, local – these seals are intended to increase transparency in food consumption and provide consumers with more oversight. The Greentable association also wants to establish the concept in the gastronomy industry. A look behind the scenes.
- Food TrendsDecember 28, 2021The future of virtual restaurants
Katie Morris explores how this sector will evolve in 2022 and beyond
- Food ManagementDecember 14, 2021TrendTalk: How ghost kitchens are changing the market for the future
The latest TrendTalk webinar from Rational focused on charting the future of the sector.
- Food TrendsDecember 13, 2021Bring on the substitute
With the COP26 summit in Glasgow focusing minds on the imperative to change our ways to avoid catastrophic climate change, we could make a start by looking at the food we eat – with plant-based diets becoming increasing popular. But is...
- Food TrendsDecember 1, 2021Thank you for 3 years of loyalty!
In the last three years, since our online magazine saw the light of the food service world, over 1.5 million readers have visited us. We want to say:
- Food TechNovember 30, 2021Into the metaverse
Does Facebook’s latest announcement herald the virtual future of the foodservice industry? Katie Morris speaks to expert consultants about the likelihood of operating in the metaverse
- Food ManagementNovember 25, 2021A step-by-step to social media success
KTCHN Rebel speaks to foodservice industry PR guru Felicity Read to get the low-down on the dos and don’ts of social media and how chefs can avoid an Instagram faux pas as well as get that perfect photo to share on...
- Food TrendsNovember 18, 2021Where have all the people gone? –Shortage of skilled workers in the hospitality industry
A gigantic exodus is raging in the hospitality industry, and it's happening all over the world. One reason is the Corona pandemic, but the causes lie much deeper.
- Food ManagementNovember 12, 2021Great taste, less waste
The coronavirus crisis made it abundantly clear: takeout food and its disposable containers create irresponsible amounts of trash. But alternatives are out there.
- Food ManagementNovember 11, 2021Supply and demand: fixing the world’s food supply chain
As the world continues to recover from the pandemic, foodservice is feeling the effects of a stuttering global supply chain system causing a serious headache for restaurants
- Food TrendsNovember 5, 2021How jackfruit opens up new culinary worlds
Flour, puree, burritos, pickles... jackfruit is a lot more than just a meat substitute. Chef Johannes Marterer visits the Rolling Pin Soul Kitchen to show us just what jackfruit is capable of. And tells us why it's only a matter of...
- Food ManagementNovember 3, 2021Comfort food: how the coronavirus has supercharged the snacking trend
Between-meal nibbles are so much more than just food. Snacks comfort us, distract us, make us happy, and feel healthier to us than big, heavy traditional meals. Though the pandemic has us all snacking with a vengeance, the trend has been...
- Food TrendsOctober 29, 2021Is the future of (fine) dining vegan?
From dubious whole-grain glop for militant hippies to Michelin-worthy culinary trend for the top chefs of tomorrow: why vegan food could become restaurants' new normal - and what giant power bills have to do with it.
- UncategorizedOctober 14, 2021Autumn – Vibes in the gastronomy
Now that the days in the northern hemisphere are already getting noticeably shorter again, it is time to say welcome to autumn - also in gastronomy and professional kitchen!
- Food TechOctober 11, 2021The workroom of the future
Rising personnel and energy costs, a shortage of skilled workers and the pressure to improve efficiency are just three factors that are having a significant impact on professional kitchen planning and operations, both now and in the future. Large and small...
- Food ManagementOctober 5, 2021Disabilities are no disability – enjoy barrier-free
The future lies in barrier-free services and facilities, including in the gastronomy and hotel industry. Guests with disabilities are often escorted by others and are inclined to remain loyal to successful concepts and enthusiastically recommend them within their circles and communities....
- Food ManagementSeptember 28, 2021TrendTalk: Retail meets ghost kitchens
Ghost kitchens, dark stores and where retail delivery converges with the biggest growth area in foodservice: the fourth TrendTalk webinar from Rational discussed the market, the opportunity and the future.
- Food TrendsSeptember 27, 2021FoodCampus Berlin – a place for the nutrition of tomorrow
To work. To research. To produce. In one place. In Berlin, plans are underway for an extraordinary project geared toward the food manufacturing industry as well as startups, scientists, chefs and other food industry thought leaders. The groundbreaking ceremony will take...
- Food TechSeptember 14, 2021Drive thru – the start of a new fast food era
The new restaurant design for the American fast food chain Taco Bell no longer includes inside dining. Instead, it incorporates multiple drive-thru lanes.
- Food ManagementSeptember 3, 2021What’s on the menu?
Foodservice operators have had to pay close attention to restaurant menus as consumer demands fluctuated during the pandemic. It is a trend that is set to continue.
- Food TrendsAugust 26, 2021The future is now – Food Report 2022
Corona has changed our consumption and eating habits for good. The reboot of the restaurant and hotel industry gives us a chance to change direction, therefore ensuring we stay on course for the future.
- Food PeopleAugust 24, 2021The scoop on Snoop
In celebration of National Black Business Month in the US, KTCHNrebel profiles restauranteur, inspirational business mogul and self-confessed all-round “hustler” Mychel ‘Snoop’ Dillard.
- Food TechJuly 14, 2021Ghost kitchens: growing the concept
From multi-purpose equipment to software that evolves with your business, take a look at the next stages in the growth of ghost kitchens globally.
- Food TechJune 22, 2021Meat substitute: not a disclaimer
The popularity of plant-based meat substitutes continues. This constantly gives food startups new ideas that leave nothing to be desired in terms of taste. We took a closer look at five innovations.
- Food TrendsJune 15, 2021Do (not) finish me off
The sound and not-so-young convenience production industry is finally speaking up for itself. Why they feels so at home in their potato outfit these days – and what role first true fan Louis plays.
- Food ManagementMay 31, 2021An open and shut case: restaurants re-opening wrap-up
Depending on where in the world you look, the foodservice sector is at very different stages of reopening as we continue to emerge from the pandemic
- Food ManagementMay 6, 2021Ghost kitchens: Operational recipes for success
From the power of effective storytelling to a discussion of piano-playing cat memes – and a host of technical detail in between – Rational’s latest webinar addressed the next stage of ghost kitchen development: operational success.
- Food TrendsMay 3, 2021Organic Garden
Rethinking the food cycle with Organic Garden. From the farm to the plate, everything from a single source – that's how you could sum up Organic Garden's sustainable concept.
- Food PeopleApril 22, 2021Seven foodservice start-ups to watch
Innovation in foodservice remains undimmed, despite a challenging year. We pick seven of the most exciting start-ups to keep an eye on in the future.
- Food TrendsApril 19, 2021Sustained by the sea
Providing food for the world’s growing population is a perennial problem. Is it possible to find a way to reap the harvest of the oceans today and sustain this vital resource for tomorrow?
- Food ManagementApril 7, 2021Food and the City
"We need to leave the indoors behind, and take over informal spaces!" Jan Knikker's call for the revitalization of inner cities almost sounds as though he is aiming for some sort of guerrilla warfare.
- Food ManagementMarch 31, 2021What’s behind the trend of private-label products for restaurants
Making a profit, keeping your business in the hearts and minds of your guests and offering your employees a perspective – that's probably what all restaurateurs currently dream about. The solution? Sell brand-name products – that is, your very own! Consciously...
- Food TechMarch 23, 2021The future is now: how robots will change kitchens
Headquartered in London, UK, but conceived via Russia, Moley Robotics has developed and launched for consumers the world’s first robotic kitchen based on a multifunctional cooking platform. Founder and CEO Mark Oleynik discusses Moley’s potential for commercial kitchens
- Food ManagementMarch 8, 2021All about Ghost Kitchens
Ghost kitchens were already a strong trend before Covid-19 turned the world upside down. A Trend Talk webinar from Rational debates their place in the foodservice offering of the future.
- Food ManagementMarch 3, 2021Eagerly craving a trip to a restaurant
Corona and endlessness – that's how it sometimes seems. This means it's not always easy to stay optimistic, especially in the restaurant business. Why fight for this business? Who knows if anyone will still have the desire, time and money for...
- Food TrendsFebruary 24, 2021MONO MEAT MANIA
In an age of growing scepticism about meat, single cuts have the power to define entire restaurant mono-concepts. They embody perfect craftsmanship and transparency, and are often significantly cheaper than what are considered to be high-end pieces. How a tough cut...
- Food PeopleFebruary 22, 2021“If you can’t beat them, eat them.”
Bouillabaisse made from Chinese mitten crab, venison from Nile goose, goulash from nutria: Why not restore the ecological balance by becoming a predator of invasive species?
- Food ManagementFebruary 15, 2021The winners, the losers and the virus
Corona has terrorized us long enough. Time to refocus on a positive future and dare to take a gastronomic glance at 2021.
- Food TechFebruary 10, 2021Automation for the people
Robotics and automation are changing the hospitality sector at an exponential rate. Keith Tan, CEO and founder of Crown Digital IO, tells us how the robotic barista ELLA is changing the face of F&B one cup of coffee at a time.
- Food TrendsFebruary 8, 2021Deep frozen blast chilled
The techniques have been commonplace for some time now. But freezing and blast chilling can do more than extend food shelf lives - they’re also a great way of making kitchens more efficient.
- Food TrendsFebruary 3, 2021Sharp knives, gentle care
They are the most sacred tool of any chef and deserve to be properly cared for. How to properly keep knives clean, sharpen them to perfection and store them in the best possible way.
- Food ManagementJanuary 19, 2021First and best meal of the day
As more people now work from home, many experiencing a commute of minutes rather than hours, what will happen to the breakfast-to-go market?
- Food TrendsJanuary 14, 2021Celebrating 2020’s heroes of hospitality
The world over, 2020 was a year to write-off as a bad memory for most, but we must pause to reflect on the game-changing contributions to the industry by some extraordinary individuals.
- Food ManagementJanuary 12, 202110 key foodservice trends in 2021
The year 2020 was a year for the industry to forget, but a New Year brings new hope. It also brings new trends – plus, the continuation of some current ones into 2021.
- Food ManagementJanuary 7, 2021Rosy days
A steak restaurant decorated in pink? "Of course,"says architect Ester Bruzkus. The oldest color in the world can actually do anything, you just have to trust it. Encouraging words.
- Food TrendsDecember 28, 2020A collision of taste, aromas and sensor technology
Whether you're sensitive to bitter tastes or not, no other taste component has greater individual, varying personal perceptions. Sensor technology findings are still used relatively seldom in gastronomy. However, understanding how to deal with taste and aroma in the proper way...
- Food ManagementDecember 21, 2020Sowing the seeds of success
Plant-based food is proving to be a growing and lucrative profit center for operators worldwide. Alongside the future potential in lab-grown meats, the market represents an opportunity big brands can no longer keep off the menu.
- Food ManagementDecember 16, 2020Coping with the crisis
As we near the end of 2020 and the development of three vaccines against Covid-19 gives hope to us all, we explore the inevitable changes this past year has brought to the foodservice landscape
- Food ManagementDecember 3, 2020Certainty in change: predicting the next decade
‘Sure things’ might be easier to predict when the going is good, but how impacted are long-term restaurant trends when a global crisis strikes?
- Food ManagementNovember 26, 2020Ghostly growth: the rise of dark kitchens
The growth of dark or ghost kitchens has accelerated in this challenging year as the delivery-only concept has provided foodservice operators with a different way to trade during the pandemic.
- Food ManagementNovember 20, 2020Ready for all three phases of the pandemic
Corona comes in waves, and the measures imposed constantly keep us on our toes. At times everything is under control and restrictions are lifted for the most part. However, at other times lockdown measures are adapted according to the current situation...
- Food TechNovember 18, 2020Kitopi – a rising star in the Ghost Kitchen sky
Kitopi is one of the world's leading cloud-based kitchen platform. Founded in January 2018, Kitopi is now helping more than 150 restaurants to become fit for the age of delivery services. State-of-the-art kitchens and trained personnel form the basis of Kitopi's success.
- Food TechNovember 16, 2020Virtual restaurants: new model hospitality?
After the worst few months in hospitality history is the app-powered takeout and delivery model of virtual restaurants a beacon of hope or the start of a slippery slope?
- Food ManagementNovember 13, 2020Outside is the new in
One thing we all have to used to is that Corona is a permanent guest and the measures surrounding it are impacting and driving business – to a sometimes greater, sometimes lesser degree. However, even the strictest of lockdowns is over...
- Food TrendsNovember 9, 2020Zero waste: empty organic waste containers are the future
United Against Waste, in cooperation with the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna and the University of Applied Sciences, Oberösterreich, has investigated the sources and causes of food waste. These are the results:
- Food ManagementOctober 21, 2020Five tips for a personal brand
KTCHNrebel gives tips on how to create a personal brand in five steps.
- Food ManagementOctober 13, 2020Saving the world spoon by spoon
Eating well and saving the climate – an impossible task? Not at all! Those who embark on a well-informed journey into the future of gastronomy will still be at the forefront tomorrow and beyond. The digital conference HolyTisch was full of...
- Food TrendsOctober 8, 2020Vintage cooking, contemporary method
Sometimes gastronomy behaves like the fashion industry: more and more trends in less and less time. And then, there are things that become timeless. Such as vintage fashion. Or smoking food. But what is behind the trend of re-energizing an apparently...
- Food TechOctober 5, 2020A tasteful step into the future
These are the times. Nobody knows what it will be like tomorrow, let alone the day after tomorrow. It is futile to ask what gastronomy will look like in the next few decades, what we should get ready for and how...
- Food ManagementSeptember 21, 2020Cutting plastic out of the kitchen
Leading the way in the foodservice fight against single-use plastic. Plastic. The once wonder material offering countless benefits is now increasingly vilified in the court of public opinion. And perhaps rightly so. With just 9% of all the plastic ever produced...
- Food TrendsSeptember 17, 2020The meat of the matter
Carrie Chan CEO of Avant Meats discusses the science behind the most sustainable and energy efficient alternative to meat production: cultivated meat. In 2015, businesswoman Carrie Chan went vegan. Soon after, she realized that the threats to the planet posed by...
- Food TrendsSeptember 10, 2020Just what the doctor ordered
How one Illinois food hall is serving up not just a great variety of food, but unique opportunities for female and minority-owned businesses. Offering a delicious array of flavors all under one roof, with the ease and comfort of a communal...
- Food ManagementSeptember 2, 2020Expert Summit Hotel & Marine: high flying for inquisitive minds
Business is booming, the place is the talk of the town, sales are steady and there is plenty left over by the end of the day. Yes, this is all happening despite the days of Corona. You can do this in...
- Food ManagementAugust 27, 2020Practical guidance for how restaurant operators can bounce back
We take a look at the key considerations for restaurants as they reopen. As restrictions lift in countries around the world, bars, restaurants and cafes are once again serving guests with, not just great food, but the opportunity to break bread...
- Food ManagementAugust 11, 2020A flexible approach to foodservice
How social distancing and capacity limits, along with consumer confidence and footfall, have implications for the overall food-to-go environment
- Food TrendsAugust 7, 2020From social media to a socially distanced new food experience
How one UK restaurant business, started by YouTube star Mikey Pearce, has embraced the concept of dark kitchens as a way forward in the restrictive landscape of Covid-19.
- Food TrendsAugust 3, 2020A glance into the culinary crystal ball: Hanni Rützler’s Food Report
A look back: In many ways, Hanni Rützler's Food Report is a lot like Santa Claus: you can hardly wait to see what goodies are in store for you. This year Rützler surprised us yet again by offering up a new...
- Food ManagementJuly 28, 2020The future is now!
In an exclusive interview, Harry Gatterer, Managing Director of the "Zukunftsinstitut" reveals how Corona has changed the working world forever - and why the gastronomy industry may be headed for a battle in the trenches...
- Food ManagementJuly 24, 2020Stay in or take away?
As the foodservice industry adapts in light of the Coronavirus pandemic, Rational invites experts from across the industry to share their insights on how to achieve growth in the food-to-go market.
- Food ManagementJuly 22, 2020How to become an outstanding brand for hospitality
Edward Francis ditched his A levels to learn more about food, wine, design, branding and all the other ingredients of an unforgettable hospitality experience. In 2015 he felt good enough to set up his Rebel Agency and gradually evolved his business...
- Food TrendsJuly 20, 2020Bauhaus for restauranteurs
René Redzepi’s already written history. Now he’s moving on to textbooks. Noma revolutionized Scandinavian cuisine by drawing inspiration from a Swedish Army survival handbook; now its owner has his eyes on a very different prize. In 2011, seeking new ways to...
- Food ManagementJuly 16, 2020Hygiene is now more important than ever
Will the industry have to adjust its hygiene standards in the future? KTCHNrebel asked a hospital cook, a hygienist and a disinfectant manufacturer – in other words, those who really need to be in the know – about what "optimal" hygiene...
- Food ManagementJuly 6, 2020The entire world on an island – Reffen Street Food
Street food is all the rage. Since Copenhagen is a gastronomic hot spot, one of the most notable examples is Reffen – Northern Europe's largest street food market, which opened its doors here in May 2018.
- Food ManagementJune 25, 2020Hospitality is ready to serve
As the foodservice world opens up in a post-pandemic era, we take a look at what customers, venturing out after months in lockdown, can expect to experience across the globe.
- Food ManagementJune 18, 2020Allergens in foodservice: the state of play
Before the Covid-19 pandemic struck, European hospitality had begun to focus increasingly on allergens and food safety across Europe. But as Jon Horsley discovers, there will still be some way to go to eliminate risk for diners when the shutdown is...
- Food ManagementJune 10, 2020How will news be spread around the world?
On the 5th of May RATIONAL, world market leader concerning the topic of combi-steamers, presented its latest model: the iCombi Pro. For the first time exclusively online. KTCHNrebel interviewed Michael Fink, Executive Vice President Marketing, who has been working with RATIONAL...
- Food TechJune 8, 2020Let’s connect! Food transparency through blockchain
Recent food-related scandals (horse meat lasagna, anyone?) as well as increased health and ethics awareness have made many consumers realize just how little they actually know about many of the foods they eat. Now, the demand for transparency is growing -...
- Food ManagementJune 4, 2020Protect to serve – the issue of kitchen safety
In light of cases of kitchen workers suing high-profile restaurants for injuries sustained on the job, Jon Horsley talks to foodservice professionals about how to ensure best practices for safer workplaces are in place for when the Covid-19 shutdown is lifted
- Food ManagementMay 27, 2020Pandemic of ideas for restaurants
The new rules spoil pleasure and enjoyment? No Way! Gastro-Professionals worldwide show us: True hospitality can survive this crisis and hygiene measures don’t need to be an obstacle. Some restaurants in this list have been using these concepts for decades -...
- Food TrendsMay 25, 2020Raw desire
A health food deli is shaking things up on the Florentine culinary scene. #RAW, in the up-and-coming Santo Spirito district, breathes new life into traditional Italian fare.
- Food ManagementMay 12, 2020Foodservice in a post-pandemic world
As countries around the world start to emerge from lockdown, restaurants have to face up to the challenges imposed by Covid-19. Tina Nielsen speaks to chefs and consultants about how the restaurant landscape is likely to change and what it means...
- Food ManagementMay 5, 2020What does the food service world look like after Corona?
One part of the world has almost made it, the other is still in the middle of it - the Corona crisis leaves no one untouched. In the last few weeks no stone has been left unturned anywhere, the world has...
- Food ManagementApril 14, 2020Corona – a chance for the gastro?
Companies such as the Viennese "Steirereck" are showing the way and setting themselves apart from the competition. Secure the decisive advantage for yourself!
- Food ManagementApril 7, 2020The response to COVID19: How the restaurant sector is adapting from table service to delivery
As the Covid-19 pandemic continues its devasting spread, the foodservice industry across the globe is feeling the effects. With several countries now in lockdown and others encouraging extreme social distancing, dining out has become nearly impossible.
- Food ManagementApril 1, 2020How restaurants are generating revenue even during the Corona crisis
The Corona pandemic is affecting every company. Some companies are in fear for their existence, while others are being supported by their primary sales channel during this extraordinary time: online. Entrepreneurs who hadn’t yet considered alternative sales channels before 2020 are...
- Food ManagementMarch 30, 2020The Avocado Show: How to run a whole restaurant concept with this green super fruit
You can enjoy them in a salad or as a dip, pure or seasoned, and in every case know you're eating something really healthy. We're talking about avocados. No wonder so many people love these green versatile wonders! Ron Simpson and...
- Food ManagementMarch 26, 2020Gastro power through women
What?! International Women's Day was weeks ago and now we're already back to talking about this? Sorry, but this is something we have to discuss. After all, this puts us right smack in the middle of one of THE industry's most...
- Food TrendsMarch 23, 2020Food School: Vegan Pulled Pork Alternatives
Pulled Pork has been in trend for years, but vegetarians and vegans don't have to fear missing out on anything: For them and all those who would like to try something new, there are simple, natural and above all fruity alternatives.
- Food ManagementMarch 4, 2020Mayday fish in distress
Overfished oceans, cheap fish pumped full of hormones...we can’t keep this up for much longer! The future lies in sustainable aquaculture, whose pioneers have begun showing the world the way forward.
- Food TrendsMarch 2, 2020One hundred percent passion
The shortage of skilled workers makes today's gastronomy industry hot under the collar. The future looks bleak. However, the orange flame adorning the aprons of the Guerilla Chefs exudes nothing but confidence. With a completely new range of programs and courses,...
- Food PeopleFebruary 24, 2020Selim Varol: A gastro career-changer with a weakness for urban art
Street art meets street food: Since 2013, What’s Beef has been conquering the hearts of urban burger lovers across Germany. Selim Varol imports American big-city atmosphere to the country, combining it with the best ingredients from around the region. His recipe...
- Food TrendsFebruary 19, 2020How much does one earn in gastronomy – An international overview
We shouldn't talk about money. Or should we? We take a look at the current state of wages and salaries in gastronomy: How much does a chef earn during their training – and how high a salary can they expect...
- Food PeopleFebruary 12, 2020Professional kitchens are getting smarter.
Digitization, networking, artificial intelligence - everyone’s talking about them, and now they’re becoming a top priority in professional kitchens around the world. And that includes Rational, the Landsberg-based manufacturers specializing in thermic food preparation appliances and equipment.
- Food ManagementFebruary 10, 2020Commercial and domestic kitchens: Dependable and durable or dramatic change ahead?
Commercial and domestic kitchens as we know them are set for dramatic, perhaps even revolutionary change, according to research by investment banking firm UBS. But are they right?
- Food ManagementJanuary 9, 2020Home of the climate-positive burger
Sustainable gastronomy is the name of the game these days. It’s become glaringly obvious in recent years that every industry - yes, really, every single one - will need to do its part if we’re going to get anywhere near achieving...
- Food TechDecember 18, 201920 global foodservice trends for 2020
It’s been another rollercoaster year for the worldwide foodservice and hospitality sector. What will 2020 hold? We’ve compiled a list of the top trends to keep you in the know.
- Food ManagementDecember 6, 2019Social media in gastronomy – a blessing or a curse?
The discussion around the topic of social media in gastronomy always comes with two completely different perspectives. While one side takes advantage of the opportunities offered by social media and considers the many different ways it can be used to...
- Food ManagementNovember 11, 2019Snackification: Goodbye three squares, hello mini-meals
Our everyday lives are getting progressively more flexible and individual, at the expense of structure. Set mealtimes, which were central to our schedules for centuries, are losing their role as anchor points of our day. The era of mini-meals has arrived.
- Food TechNovember 7, 2019How Artificial Intelligence is tracking the Food Trends of tomorrow
The food market used to be fairly stable and slow to change, but the Internet, social networks, and e-commerce have drastically accelerated and democratized the industry. New trends and crazes are popping up every day - how can anyone keep track...
- Food ManagementOctober 31, 2019Work less pay hard!
Work hard, play hard is on its way out. What Generation Z expects from the working world - and how companies can win their long-term loyalty.
- Food ManagementOctober 28, 2019Food delivery and the lazy economy
Outlining the current picture of the food delivery market in Asia where several players are jostling for position.
- Food ManagementOctober 16, 2019Growth track
Karlheinz Hauser has stood for high-end Catering. But he’s doing almost everything differently with his most recent coup: his fast-food concept Poké You is available to franchisees.
- Food TechOctober 16, 2019Stop eating plastic – Time for the post-plastic age!
It is virtually impossible to imagine our food production without plastic. These days, not only is it used for packaging, it's even part of our food. It's high time for new alternatives.
- Food ManagementOctober 8, 2019Better than BEEF?
Meat 2.0: plant-based meat alternatives like beyond meat are all the rage these days. How this trend came about, what meatless meat is really made of, and how the battle of the fake meats is signaling a food industry revolution to...
- Food ManagementSeptember 26, 2019Generation ABC – Play food from the future
So everyone knows you shouldn't play with your food, right? Wrong! You can actually learn a lot by doing exactly this. The WIN WIN Sustainability Award Gothenburg has therefore designed a range of toys created for the 3D printer, which replicates...
- Food TrendsSeptember 12, 2019Snackification: The fluid dining culture of the 21st century
For centuries, most of Western society was structured around “three square meals a day”. John and Jane Doe of yesteryear had a relatively predictable day-to-day existence, but our increasingly mobile lifestyles and increasingly diverse family arrangements are making the rigid breakfast-lunch-dinner...
- Food TrendsSeptember 5, 2019Eggslut: How one simple ingredient proved the key to success
A little mashed potato, an egg, chives, and salt. Sounds like the humblest of all leftovers, but one breakfast fan on America’s West Coast has made it The Next Big Thing. Eggslut, Alvin Cailan’s frivolous-in-name-only casual dining concept, has become a...
- Food PeopleSeptember 3, 2019Queen of the East
Thai chef Bee Satongun of the Michelin-starred Paste in Bangkok dishes up meals fit for royalty at Hangar-7, opening up new horizons for European diners - and not just in the culinary sense.
- Food ManagementAugust 5, 2019Meals on Wheels – The new generation of food trucks
Sunday at the flea market. Throngs of early risers are wandering around the lot, munching on greasy chicken courtesy of the local food truck. Served with fries, because of course it is. Sound familiar? But times, they are a’changin’: these new...
- Food ManagementJuly 10, 2019The ultimate guide to restaurant reviews
Positive online reviews are the lifeblood of many restaurant businesses, but what if they’re not real? KTCHNrebel reports on why reviews matter, how to manage yours and what’s being done to crack down on fake ones.
- Food ManagementJuly 4, 2019Flagship Fantastic
Experiential flagship restaurants can both boost customer spending and provide a pipeline of innovation for QSR brands, as KTCHNrebel reports.
- Food ManagementJuly 1, 2019Uber Eats – how the ride-sharing service is racing to the front of the delivery market
I’ll call an Uber! - A few years ago, most of us only heard that phrase on American TV shows, but now it’s become totally normal all over the world. But now everyone’s favorite peer-to-peer taxi service has started giving “rides”...
- Food ManagementJune 19, 2019Inside a Ghost kitchen: Trends change very quickly
Food delivery means eating what you want, wherever and whenever you want it. It’s a huge market already, and these days, it’s practically exploding. One fairly cool new resulting development: ghost kitchens. They churn out food without having a connected restaurant...
- Food TrendsJune 17, 2019A quick guide to saving the world
As any third-grader can probably tell you, the Earth is unique, and it’s a perfect place to live. So why wouldn’t we protect something so valuable? It seems like not even adults can answer that one.
- Food ManagementJune 11, 2019Well-Being and Self-Realization – Gen Z in the restaurant world
Generation Z in the restaurant world – Economist and author Prof. Christian Scholz advises employers on what really matters. KTCHNRebel sat down with Prof. Scholz, to discuss Generation Z not only as future employees but also as customers.
- Food ManagementJune 6, 2019Urban gardening and vertical farming: cities in bloom, green-thumbed chefs
Some people think of gardening as a hobby for little old ladies, and the words “garden party” conjure up mental images of stuffy rich folk playing croquet. But now plant enthusiasts have shaken off their old-fashioned image— thanks to urban gardening...
- Food ManagementMay 23, 2019The business case for plant-based burgers
Vegan burgers that look, taste and sizzle like the real thing, are proving a boom to restaurant operators. As costs come down and consumers continue to reduce their meat intake, the business case is only going to get more attractive.
- Food ManagementMay 6, 2019Future 50 Foods: The ingredients in our nutritional future
It’s a challenge unlike any we’ve ever faced: Our use of natural resources and our intense focus on just a few foods are putting our health and our planet at risk. The Future 50 Foods report compiled by Knorr and the...
- Food ManagementApril 25, 2019Anyone for crickets?
Plant-based, lab-grown and insect proteins may currently be at the fringe of the protein market, but as big money continues to roll in, all signs point to them staying the course.
- Food TrendsApril 23, 2019HYPER, HYPER!
Plant superstars and meat with storytelling: How food trends develop and what they say about us.
- Food ManagementApril 15, 2019WHAT’S HOT in Concepts & Food: The 2019 TREND GUIDE
It almost seems like food these days is more about ethics than pleasure: Hip foodie lunchrooms are all about the sustainable, the nutritious, and the vegan. Getting rid of plastic straws is practically common courtesy anymore, and many places use it...
- Food ManagementMarch 21, 2019Food for Follows – Social media as a payment method
Photos, shares, ratings, likes... it seems like nobody goes to a restaurant anymore without documenting it online. People sit there letting their food get cold while they snap the perfect pic of their plates. Those pics can benefit both them and...
- Food TrendsMarch 4, 2019Algorithmically delicious-How food pairing takes flavor to the next level
Chocolate with onions? Strawberries on burgers? Bananas with wheat beer? Food pairing uses databases and molecular chemistry to create combinations that don’t seem like they’d go together, but turn out to be spectacular new taste sensations.
- Food ManagementFebruary 26, 2019Internorga’s food trends study 2019: Putting restaurant concepts under the microscope
Street food? Insect burgers? Over the past few years, restaurant trends have been multiplying as rapidly as yeast cultures during fermentation. (We’ll tell you in a minute why we picked that particular analogy.)
- Food TechJanuary 21, 2019Say what? Voice assistant for restaurants?
Soon, almost half of consumers will prefer using a voice assistant to a website. Elly Earls finds out why restaurants need to be ready.
- Food ManagementJanuary 1, 2019Ghost kitchen – gastronomic revolutionaries
Abandoned parking lots in the shadows of tall bridges, romantic industrial settings, skylines... is this really where the gastronomic revolution is going to happen? Here, among the shipping containers that blend harmoniously into the desolate landscape? Of course! The epicenter of...
- Food TechDecember 25, 2018Slow food, fast
Now serving: the future! Or at least that's what's happening in San Francisco and Berlin, where restaurateurs are using digital technology to kick their health-food places into overdrive.
- Food PeopleDecember 1, 2018You’re the wurst!
An American classic is getting a makeover in Berlin: Björn Swanson’s THE DAWG is taking hot dogs to new culinary heights.
- New Survey: Gen Y trends that are driving tomorrow’s dining economy
Results from a new survey, which was conducted online in October 2018 by YouGov and sponsored by Planday, reveal three key drivers that Gen Y (Millennials born between 1980 and 2000) indicate will shape the restaurant sector of tomorrow.
- Bugs, not bunny: how insects are revolutionizing gastronomy
Bangkok: a small restaurant tucked away in a back courtyard. Dark facade, bronze nameplate, metal window shutters. Inside, it’s all high ceilings and vintage-industrial charm, with dark wood bathed in oversized lights and a random assortments of chairs dotting a landscape...
- Food TechDecember 1, 2018Artificial food and dairy substitutes – Comfort food from the science lab
New York, the not-too-distant future: gray smog lingers over the streets of an overpopulated city. The world’s natural resources are practically gone; precious water and food are astronomically expensive. While the majority of the impoverished populace struggles every day to find...
- Vision vs. reason? Having a vision is always a risk…
Restaurants open, restaurants close. It’s the Circle of Life in the gastronomy world. But how come some places thrive for decades, and others fall apart after a few months? A 2005 Ohio State Univeristy study analyzed the situation in the USA,...
- A man and his chicken
Even today, harland david sanders is still smiling at his customers: his laughing face is the trademark of kentucky fried chicken. How Sanders got his “colonel” title and made his first million.
- Full house, empty kitchens?
Miami? Tokyo? London? Or how about Munich? Mike is proud and happy. He’s just been released into the wild, with a degree from a top German culinary school in his pocket, and now the world is waiting to welcome him with...
- Four foodservice trends for 2019
Technology, sustainability and convenience are set to be the foodservice buzzwords for 2019, as Elly Earls discovers.
- Food TrendsDecember 1, 2018Working in Singapore
Impulsive, challenging, many-faceted: it's no wonder people call Singapore a melting pot of trends. Here, any ex-pats willing to work can try their hand at new things, ride the gastronomy wave, and discover extraordinary and innovative ideas.