Search results for "food waste"
- Food TechSeptember 29, 2023How artificial intelligence reduces food waste in the foodservice industry
Far too much food in the gastronomy industry still ends up in the trash. How artificial intelligence (AI) can drastically reduce food waste in the gastronomy industry - and thus also make money while saving the climate.
- Food ManagementJune 24, 2022Enough is enough: 5 tips to put an end to Food Waste!
Every year, somewhere along the road from farms to processing plants, restaurants, and households, 1.3 billion tons of food wind up in the trash rather than in our stomachs. It’s an astonishing and thought-provoking statistic — think of the valuable environmental...
- Food TrendsNovember 16, 2021Zero food waste: getting the best from leftovers
Instock is the name of a restaurant and wholesale grocery store in Amsterdam. They cook and sell vegetables, meat and fish here, which would otherwise have been discarded. Their zero-waste concept has given rise to a fine flavor experience and a...
- Food TrendsOctober 28, 2020A menu à la food waste
Food waste and disposable tableware are not necessary. With their project Wasteware, Kilga and Gollacker demonstrate how sustainable design and cuisine can happen. In Europe, almost 90 million tons of food are thrown away, and about 30 million tons of waste...
- Food TrendsNovember 10, 2023Food trend zero waste – on the plate instead of in the bin
Restaurant owners and businesses are developing exciting concepts to reduce food waste and garbage. Nevertheless, there is still a lot of room for improvement in the zero waste food trend, says trend researcher Hanni Rützler.
- Food TrendsOctober 4, 2023Plant-based food: Meat or not meat, that is the question
According to a study by the University of Bonn, to continue feeding humanity in the future, we would have to reduce meat consumption by around 75% overall. However, the mainstream does not like the idea of completely doing without. But is...
- Food TrendsAugust 1, 2023Food trends 2024: To know today what we will eat tomorrow
Hanni Rützler’s “Food Report 2024” is here and is leading restaurants into the future with the food trends for 2024. This means, among other things, less meat on the plates, and more women in the food and beverage industry. Like last year,...
- Food ManagementApril 13, 20236 Steps to stop energy waste in professional kitchens
Up to 70 % of energy is wasted in commercial kitchens. KTCHNrebel present six strategies, from equipment choice to menu design, to stop energy waste, reduce costs, and help protect the planet.
- Food ManagementFebruary 16, 2023New concepts in foodservice: Sustainability surges back to the top of the agenda
With the pandemic seemingly behind us, the foodservice sector is ready to embrace a boom in social dining and once again get to grips with its impact on the environment. KTCHNrebel looks at the most recent data from Euromonitor International to...
- Food TrendsNovember 24, 2022Food and football: What to expect from foodservice at the Qatar World Cup 2022
As three billion international viewers tune into the Football World Cup this month, Qatar has the opportunity to showcase its culture to the world, and food and foodservice will be one of the champions.
- Food TrendsNovember 10, 2022Freshly caught seafood: Straight from the bottom of the sea to your mouth
What was unthinkable yesterday is a hot commodity today: shellfish delivered alive and freshly caught. Norwegian fishing pioneers, high-tech and the fine palates of chefs such as René Redzepi make this possible.
- Food TechOctober 19, 2022Visionaries of the foodservice future: forward-looking and future facing experts
For the ninth TrendTalk live webinar the topic of visionaries of the future brought together compelling speakers and the chance for participants to ask questions and learn some lasting lessons.
- Food ManagementSeptember 28, 2022Zero Waste: Countdown to zero
For a long time, the Silo in Brighton was the lonely pioneer on the zero-waste restaurant scene. Now, a paradigm shift is finally on the horizon.
- Food TrendsSeptember 6, 2022Bowl experience: Successfully putting 2023 food trends into effect with bowls
For guests, bowls are a guaranteed delight. For restaurateurs, they offer unmatched opportunities to position themselves as both trend-driven as well as unique. The amount of work is minimal – even with recipe ideas from a star chef!
- Food ManagementAugust 23, 2022Aquaponics: symbiotic habitats for food of the future
Diners at Sollo shake their heads in wonder as the sun dips below the horizon on Spain’s southern Mediterranean coastline. It’s only partly because of the view, though—the real spectacle here is on the ceramic plates on this side of the...
- Food ManagementJuly 21, 2022Managing costs for foodservice businesses in times of increasing prices
With pressures on costs due to rising food costs, energy price increases and labor shortages the margin for operators is being squeezed. We ponder the different tactics and tools hospitality businesses can take to remain viable in challenging times.
- Food TechJune 17, 2022Pixel pasta: will 3D food printers revolutionize the restaurant industry?
The room is bathed in soft pink light; the few chairs are lit up in green from underneath. Geometric shapes float past on the walls. It’s not garish, but it’s very futuristic - sort of a combination spaceship-laboratory thing. Diners are...
- Food ManagementMay 5, 2022Cloud Eatery – how this food startup overcame initial pitfalls
Matthias Schneider and Remo Gianfrancesco love food and, as experienced experts, had already made a big splash in the food service and supplier market. Then they came up with a completely new idea, and put it into action. When founding Cloud...
- Food PeopleApril 28, 2022Happy Ocean Foods: The Ocean Rescuers
Everyone is talking about meat substitutes, but what about fish substitutes? This is actually a no-brainer, since overfishing of the world's oceans has long been an issue. At least that is what Julian Hallet thinks. He is a co-founder of Happy...
- Food ManagementApril 1, 2022ZERO WASTE: Don’t mess up!
The importance of food has finally become clear to us during the pandemic. Suddenly, the focus is on keeping restaurant kitchens cooking in such a way that no waste is produced. This has led to some exciting Zero Waste concepts.
- Food ManagementJanuary 25, 2022Top six foodservice tips for 2022
What to do in '22. The new year is here, and it's full of surprises, challenges and opportunities for the world of gastronomy. We gazed into a crystal ball and pinpointed the trends that will shape the restaurant and hospitality sector...
- Food ManagementNovember 12, 2021Great taste, less waste
The coronavirus crisis made it abundantly clear: takeout food and its disposable containers create irresponsible amounts of trash. But alternatives are out there.
- Food ManagementNovember 11, 2021Supply and demand: fixing the world’s food supply chain
As the world continues to recover from the pandemic, foodservice is feeling the effects of a stuttering global supply chain system causing a serious headache for restaurants
- Food ManagementNovember 3, 2021Comfort food: how the coronavirus has supercharged the snacking trend
Between-meal nibbles are so much more than just food. Snacks comfort us, distract us, make us happy, and feel healthier to us than big, heavy traditional meals. Though the pandemic has us all snacking with a vengeance, the trend has been...
- Food TrendsAugust 26, 2021The future is now – Food Report 2022
Corona has changed our consumption and eating habits for good. The reboot of the restaurant and hotel industry gives us a chance to change direction, therefore ensuring we stay on course for the future.
- Food PeopleApril 22, 2021Seven foodservice start-ups to watch
Innovation in foodservice remains undimmed, despite a challenging year. We pick seven of the most exciting start-ups to keep an eye on in the future.
- Food ManagementJanuary 27, 2021Workplace dining: why foodservice must adapt
With next to no office staff to serve, foodservice in the workplace largely ceased to exist as Covid-19 spread across the world. Post-pandemic it needs to be flexible to fit a market segment in flux.
- Food ManagementJanuary 12, 202110 key foodservice trends in 2021
The year 2020 was a year for the industry to forget, but a New Year brings new hope. It also brings new trends – plus, the continuation of some current ones into 2021.
- Food TrendsNovember 9, 2020Zero waste: empty organic waste containers are the future
United Against Waste, in cooperation with the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna and the University of Applied Sciences, Oberösterreich, has investigated the sources and causes of food waste. These are the results:
- Food TechSeptember 15, 2020Urban food: How agriculture is becoming an urban economic system
In the future, food production will move closer to consumers – right into cities, supermarkets and restaurants. It doesn't get fresher or more local than this!
- Food ManagementJuly 6, 2020The entire world on an island – Reffen Street Food
Street food is all the rage. Since Copenhagen is a gastronomic hot spot, one of the most notable examples is Reffen – Northern Europe's largest street food market, which opened its doors here in May 2018.
- Food TechDecember 18, 201920 global foodservice trends for 2020
It’s been another rollercoaster year for the worldwide foodservice and hospitality sector. What will 2020 hold? We’ve compiled a list of the top trends to keep you in the know.
- Food ManagementSeptember 26, 2019Generation ABC – Play food from the future
So everyone knows you shouldn't play with your food, right? Wrong! You can actually learn a lot by doing exactly this. The WIN WIN Sustainability Award Gothenburg has therefore designed a range of toys created for the 3D printer, which replicates...
- Food ManagementApril 15, 2019WHAT’S HOT in Concepts & Food: The 2019 TREND GUIDE
It almost seems like food these days is more about ethics than pleasure: Hip foodie lunchrooms are all about the sustainable, the nutritious, and the vegan. Getting rid of plastic straws is practically common courtesy anymore, and many places use it...
- Food ManagementApril 3, 2019Restaurant Silo – From Waste to Taste
Douglas McMaster: brilliant, uncompromising, uses a lot of superlatives. Also, kind of a rock star. His first restaurant, Silo, which opened in Brighton in 2014, takes the “zero waste” idea to new heights. Since September 2017, the 31-year-old British chef has...
- Food ManagementDecember 1, 2018Four foodservice trends for 2019
Technology, sustainability and convenience are set to be the foodservice buzzwords for 2019, as Elly Earls discovers.
- Food ManagementOctober 21, 2019No crap
From Zero to Hero: More and more restaurateurs have had enough of food waste and excess packaging. Nolla in Helsinki and Café Botanico in Berlin are demonstrating a different approach.
- Food ManagementSeptember 6, 2023Sous vide: how innovation is enhancing a chef favorite
Called “the single greatest advancement in cooking technology in decades” by Heston Blumenthal, sous-vide cooking has become an essential mainstay in a modern’s chef's arsenal. Now, new technology is elevating the methods precision and consistency to new levels.
- Food ManagementJune 5, 2023Healthy workers, healthy planet: how Eurest encourages healthy nutrition and sustainability in catering
Rees Bramwell, head of nutrition and sustainability with workplace foodservice provider Eurest, tells KTCHNrebel about the key elements to encourage healthy eating habits and gives four tips on how to integrate sustainability in catering.
- Food PeopleMarch 3, 2023Nadine Wächter-Moreno: The creative Swiss chef
She learned her trade in Lucerne and then worked as a chef in Mexico, Australia and the USA. Today, Nadine Wächter-Moreno is the first female head chef at Andaz Singapore. KTCHNrebel spoke to the Swiss native about her career, motivation and...
- Food PeopleJanuary 5, 2023Here’s why Manoella “Manu” Buffara is Latin America’s best chef.
Champion of a better environment, supporter of urban gardening: Manu Buffara has created her own network of local producers. KTCHNrebel spoke to the Brazilian about the Latin America’s Best Female Chef 2022 Award, her goals and cooking style as well as...
- Food ManagementNovember 16, 2022This is how you organize modern day kitchen routines!
What are the basic requirements for efficient kitchen organization? How can you overcome obstacles in your day-to-day work? How does digitalization help me in the kitchen? How do I work efficiently and sustainably?
- Food ManagementAugust 22, 2022Eight ways restaurateurs can help fight the climate crisis
From sourcing locally and seasonally, to planning “plant-forward” menus and making kitchens smarter and more efficient, here are eight ways restaurateurs can contribute to tackling climate change.
- Food ManagementJuly 15, 2022De Meal Prepper: serving up beautiful plates
With over 25,000 followers on Instagram, Jolanda Stokkermans has attracted people from across the world with her elaborately designed plates of food depicting everything from plants and animals to celebrities. KTCHNrebel spoke to her about her inspiring success with food art...
- Food ManagementMay 10, 2022How sustainable is your menu?
Consumers are more aware than ever about the impact their food choices have on the planet, but are chefs delivering them the information they require?
- Food TrendsJanuary 13, 2022Making a difference – Heroes of Hospitality 2021
From the admirable to the pioneering, we look at the men and women who have stood out from the crowd or gone the extra mile for foodservice and hospitality during an exceptionally challenging period.
- Food PeopleDecember 23, 2021Cook the world well – how a star chef works for a better life on this planet
The camaraderie in the restaurant kitchen is reminiscent of a pirate ship – and that’s why Jessica Rosval became a chef in the first place. Today, she is very enthusiastic about Massimo Bottura in the kitchen, is considered Italy’s best chef...
- Food PeopleDecember 21, 2021Choice supermarkets: The reinvention of the c-store
When Mike Forgaty opened his first convenience store in Denver, Colorado a few years ago, it was a very brave move. Although he had many years of experience in the food industry, he had never done anything with retail before. However,...
- Food PeopleOctober 25, 2021New ways for sustainable gastronomy
Truly practicing sustainability in the gastronomy industry is a major challenge, because of the many and diverse ecological, social and economic aspects:
- Food PeopleSeptember 9, 2021Davide Caranchini: championing sustainability
Italian chef Davide Caranchini talked about his modern approach to sustainable cooking at his Lake Como restaurant Materia during a presentation at Madrid Fusión earlier this year. Tina Nielsen spoke to him at the event
- Food ManagementSeptember 4, 2020What will travel be like during the days of Corona?
The effects of the Corona crisis on the hotel and tourism industry are becoming increasingly obvious and tangible. mrp hotels knows what should be taken into account for the summer. The Covid-19 pandemic imposes new requirements on hotels. How long these...
- Food ManagementSeptember 2, 2020Expert Summit Hotel & Marine: high flying for inquisitive minds
Business is booming, the place is the talk of the town, sales are steady and there is plenty left over by the end of the day. Yes, this is all happening despite the days of Corona. You can do this in...
- Food TrendsJanuary 30, 2020Check out what’s fermenting!
Fermentation is the next big thing. Trendy kitchen professionals are catapulting techniques from the olden days directly into the future.
- Food ManagementDecember 20, 2019Hot stuff! Insights from the IoT Catering Summit
Cooking is analog art at its best. There's something to touch, see, smell, taste. Craft and emotions prevail – chilly computer technology has no place in the warm, sizzling empire of chefs. However, the Internet of Things still makes it past...
- Food ManagementAugust 21, 2019Not trash but treasure
Root to stem is the new nose to tail! Why vegetable leftovers are all the rage, and how the culinary elite are using them to usher in a new era.
- Food ManagementJuly 22, 2019Some like it hot
Bakeries have many of the essential ingredients to serve hot dishes as well as pastries, a move that could boost customer spend in a competitive market. Elly Earls finds out whether the shift from bakery to full-service restaurant can be sustainable...
- Food TrendsJune 17, 2019A quick guide to saving the world
As any third-grader can probably tell you, the Earth is unique, and it’s a perfect place to live. So why wouldn’t we protect something so valuable? It seems like not even adults can answer that one.
- Food ManagementMay 13, 2019Keeping the plates spinning
Caterers must deliver a healthier, more diverse food offer than ever to a backdrop of rising costs and a shrinking labour pool. KTCHNrebel finds out why reducing waste, controlling costs and focusing on staff retention are key to success.
- Food ManagementMarch 14, 2019Celebrating 100 Years Hilton and 1000+ culinary ideas
It all started when Conrad Hilton bought his first hotel in 1919. Today, Hilton is one of the world´s largest, fastest growing hospitality companies with 17 brands and 5,500+ properties in 113 countries. Reaching the milestone of the 100th birthday, the...
- Food TrendsFebruary 11, 201925 Best Chefs of Instagram 2019
Welcome to the Web’s culinary mecca! Instagram lets everyone from hobby cooks to Michelin-starred chefs give their followers a behind-the-scenes look at their kitchens. By dishing up bite-sized portions of “food porn”, brilliant gastronomic minds can expand their influence far beyond...
- Food TechDecember 1, 2018Ultra-personalization: the next big thing?
A restaurant brand in the UK can tailor your dinner to your DNA profile. Elly Earls finds out whether this is the future of foodservice. Personalization is something we’ve come to expect as standard in the quick service sector, particularly in...
- Food ManagementDecember 1, 2018New Survey: Gen Y trends that are driving tomorrow’s dining economy
Results from a new survey, which was conducted online in October 2018 by YouGov and sponsored by Planday, reveal three key drivers that Gen Y (Millennials born between 1980 and 2000) indicate will shape the restaurant sector of tomorrow.
- Food PeopleNovember 24, 2023Alex Atala: Brazil’s Jungle Messiah
Alex Atala is the master of Brazilian gastronomy. Like no other, he has linked it with the issues of sustainability, human rights and biodiversity – and given his country back a culinary culture that is now known throughout the world. How...
- Food ManagementOctober 27, 2023This is the future of small caterers
The catering industry is undergoing a massive upheaval – and no one is really talking about it. Why is this the case? What is the decline of small caterers all about? And where is the catering industry heading in the next...
- Food TechOctober 20, 2023Is the might of artificial intelligence also bringing a revolution to the hospitality industry?
Traffic forecasts, personalized advertising, movie recommendations on Netflix – many people do not realize that artificial intelligence already permeates almost every aspect of our lives. However, since the hype surrounding Chat GPT at the latest, people are becoming increasingly aware of...
- Food TrendsOctober 18, 2023Female connoisseurs: Sustainable and female – the taste of the future
For a long time, food service was a male-dominated industry. However, an increasing number of women are now fighting for their (well-deserved) place in gourmet kitchens, founding innovative start-ups or making a name for themselves as bartenders. But where is this...
- Food PeopleOctober 10, 2023Ebru Baybara Demir – Changing lives through gastronomy
Earlier this year Turkish chef Ebru Baybara Demir was named as the recipient of the prestigious Basque Culinary World Prize for her social and community-based work in her country.
- Food PeopleJuly 19, 2023Radically Local – how Tomas Lidakevicius cooks at Turnips
Seasonal and particularly local – that’s the motto of chef Tomas Lidakevicius at Turnips. After all, he only cooks with ingredients from London's Borough Market. KTCHNrebel spoke with the chef about vegetables, micro-seasonality, inspiration and sustainability.
- Food PeopleJuly 4, 2023Mélanie Serre – Chef with character
Hardly anyone celebrates and presents food as skilfully and deliciously as Mélanie Serre. At Elsa restaurant in Monte-Carlo Beach, the young French woman relies on organic vegetables from her own garden along with products from the Mediterranean region. The rising star...
- Food TechMay 30, 2023Gastronomy under pressure and how pressure cooking can help
At times, gastronomy is under quite a bit of pressure: Skills shortages, pandemics, energy crises and the like are just a few of the challenges facing restaurateurs. But what can be done to take the pressure off, or even make use...
- Food ManagementMay 24, 2023Keyword: e-fueling station – what about the gastronomic options?
What is the current situation with regard to the supply of and from e-fueling stations worldwide? Are e-charging and gastronomy a good combination? Filling station operators, fast-charging infrastructure providers and even car manufacturers have new ideas and concepts. The range extends...
- Food ManagementJanuary 20, 20232023’s top industry culinary predictions
If the last couple of years have been remembered as ‘the year of the pivot’ or ‘the year of challenge’ for the foodservice and hospitality sector, which factors will define 2023? KTCHNrebel makes its predictions for the major industry and cuisine...
- Food ManagementNovember 22, 2022Hospitality: Rising energy prices force actions
Hospitality businesses are looking at ways to keep energy costs low as Europe faces hikes in energy bills
- Food PeopleSeptember 13, 2022Eric Vildgaard: Great plates instead of terror.
Eric Vildgaard's story reads like the premise for an action-packed Hollywood sensation. That this former thug and drug dealer turned into one of the best chefs in Europe has everything to do with respect, precision and discipline – not to mention...
- Food PeopleMay 24, 2022Salt & Silver: The secret of their gastronomic success
Surfing mega-waves with a finger in every pot – the guys at Salt & Silver refuse to be categorized, and they’re leaving the Hamburg culinary scene breathless. KTCHNrebel asked them about the secret of their gastronomic success.
- Food PeopleFebruary 1, 2022Double game – twins take the stars from the gastronomic heavens to Moscow
With two Michelin stars and one Green Star, Russian brothers Ivan and Sergey Berezutskiy's innovative Twins Garden gastronomic concept, which is housed in a light-filled location high above the rooftops of Moscow, is a resounding success. KTCHNrebel met up with the...
- Food TrendsDecember 30, 2021Green gastronomy – with a green conscience
Organic, fair trade, vegan, local – these seals are intended to increase transparency in food consumption and provide consumers with more oversight. The Greentable association also wants to establish the concept in the gastronomy industry. A look behind the scenes.
- Food PeopleDecember 13, 2021Back to the roots
At Copenhagen's high-end restaurant AMASS, Californian Matt Orlando is bringing his vision of sustainability to life by making the most of leftovers culinary-wise. His hippie parents are partly responsible for this.
- Food ManagementSeptember 3, 2021What’s on the menu?
Foodservice operators have had to pay close attention to restaurant menus as consumer demands fluctuated during the pandemic. It is a trend that is set to continue.
- Food ManagementAugust 19, 2021Picnic comeback
Corona has revived the picnic. To-go's big sister is here to stay, according to experts – and its expanding what it has to offer.
- Food PeopleAugust 6, 2021Shrimp from the mountains
In the heart of Austria, they have recently started breeding the best and rarest of shrimp. Initially, the concept was based primarily on the desire to make good use of the wood gas power plant's waste heat. Today, it is...
- Food TrendsJune 15, 2021Do (not) finish me off
The sound and not-so-young convenience production industry is finally speaking up for itself. Why they feels so at home in their potato outfit these days – and what role first true fan Louis plays.
- Food TrendsJune 7, 2021Best Chefs of Instagram 2021
Haute cuisine meets snackable content: the perfect mix! It's not just in kitchens around the world that things are bubbling, simmering and sizzling away. Many international top chefs are also brandishing their virtual wooden spoons on Instagram. The result? Feeds and...
- Food TrendsMay 3, 2021Organic Garden
Rethinking the food cycle with Organic Garden. From the farm to the plate, everything from a single source – that's how you could sum up Organic Garden's sustainable concept.
- Food TrendsDecember 14, 2020Mother Nature’s Son
It is truly the Garden of Eden for health food enthusiasts – over seven acres of sun-kissed land in the middle of the Camargue, with 200 different kinds of fruit and vegetables growing in Mother Nature's most beautiful setting.
- Food ManagementOctober 13, 2020Saving the world spoon by spoon
Eating well and saving the climate – an impossible task? Not at all! Those who embark on a well-informed journey into the future of gastronomy will still be at the forefront tomorrow and beyond. The digital conference HolyTisch was full of...
- Food ManagementSeptember 21, 2020Cutting plastic out of the kitchen
Leading the way in the foodservice fight against single-use plastic. Plastic. The once wonder material offering countless benefits is now increasingly vilified in the court of public opinion. And perhaps rightly so. With just 9% of all the plastic ever produced...
- Food TrendsSeptember 17, 2020The meat of the matter
Carrie Chan CEO of Avant Meats discusses the science behind the most sustainable and energy efficient alternative to meat production: cultivated meat. In 2015, businesswoman Carrie Chan went vegan. Soon after, she realized that the threats to the planet posed by...
- Food ManagementJuly 22, 2020How to become an outstanding brand for hospitality
Edward Francis ditched his A levels to learn more about food, wine, design, branding and all the other ingredients of an unforgettable hospitality experience. In 2015 he felt good enough to set up his Rebel Agency and gradually evolved his business...
- Food TrendsJuly 20, 2020Bauhaus for restauranteurs
René Redzepi’s already written history. Now he’s moving on to textbooks. Noma revolutionized Scandinavian cuisine by drawing inspiration from a Swedish Army survival handbook; now its owner has his eyes on a very different prize. In 2011, seeking new ways to...
- Food TrendsJune 15, 202020 Best Chefs on Instagram 2020
Underdogs and top stars, hobby and professional gourmets: They all cavort on Instagram. Instagram connects gourmets across kitchen and country borders. This year, the gastronomic community is provided with highlights from all over the world, expanding culinary horizons and triggering food...
- Food ManagementMarch 30, 2020The Avocado Show: How to run a whole restaurant concept with this green super fruit
You can enjoy them in a salad or as a dip, pure or seasoned, and in every case know you're eating something really healthy. We're talking about avocados. No wonder so many people love these green versatile wonders! Ron Simpson and...
- Food TechOctober 16, 2019Stop eating plastic – Time for the post-plastic age!
It is virtually impossible to imagine our food production without plastic. These days, not only is it used for packaging, it's even part of our food. It's high time for new alternatives.
- Food PeopleOctober 14, 2019Changing the game
Brought up with food at the centre of family life, Asma Khan’s London restaurant serves up home-style Indian cooking that has customers queuing. A trained lawyer, she discusses how she’s also working on ways to improve the way women are treated,...
- Food PeopleAugust 7, 2019Cook for your life! Masterchef Shipra Khanna’s path to freedom through the kitchen
The clock is slowly ticking down. Two minutes left, and nowhere near all 100 dishes are ready. A young woman and her rival are whirling through a tiny show kitchen, as chaos rages all around them. The overambitious moderators shout words...
- Food TrendsJuly 15, 2019The taste of the future
The Compass Group is the world’s largest catering corporation, with around 14,500 employees in Germany alone. Besides having its own food-service concept emphasizing company cafeterias, Compass also implements customer ideas both within and outside the gastronomy sector.
- Food ManagementJune 19, 2019Inside a Ghost kitchen: Trends change very quickly
Food delivery means eating what you want, wherever and whenever you want it. It’s a huge market already, and these days, it’s practically exploding. One fairly cool new resulting development: ghost kitchens. They churn out food without having a connected restaurant...
- Food ManagementJune 6, 2019Urban gardening and vertical farming: cities in bloom, green-thumbed chefs
Some people think of gardening as a hobby for little old ladies, and the words “garden party” conjure up mental images of stuffy rich folk playing croquet. But now plant enthusiasts have shaken off their old-fashioned image— thanks to urban gardening...
- Food PeopleApril 8, 2019Making a splash- Ángel León
Over the last ten years he has served everything from the sea except fish: How the chef and explorer Ángel León is revolutionizing the way we eat with his 3-star restaurant Aponiente in Cádiz.
- Food ManagementFebruary 7, 2019Mandating meat-free menus: has WeWork gone a step too far?
Coworking giant WeWork has taken meat off the menu for its employees. Should other companies be following suit?
- Food ManagementJanuary 1, 2019Ghost kitchen – gastronomic revolutionaries
Abandoned parking lots in the shadows of tall bridges, romantic industrial settings, skylines... is this really where the gastronomic revolution is going to happen? Here, among the shipping containers that blend harmoniously into the desolate landscape? Of course! The epicenter of...
- Food ManagementDecember 1, 2018F&B – Fit for the future
An interview with Jan Smeets, Recipe for Concept. Restaurant & Bar Concept Development. The Dutchman is one of the most experienced concept developers in the entire industry—he’s been working in the gastro industry since 20 years and as a concept consultant...
- Food ManagementDecember 1, 2018Full house, empty kitchens?
Miami? Tokyo? London? Or how about Munich? Mike is proud and happy. He’s just been released into the wild, with a degree from a top German culinary school in his pocket, and now the world is waiting to welcome him with...
- Food PeopleDecember 1, 2018Hendrik Otto – no mediocrity
The truth lies somewhere in the middle. That’s the maxim Hendrik Otto cooks by at the Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer—and the results are proof that balance has nothing to do with mediocrity.
- Food TrendsDecember 1, 2018Going whole hog
From nose to tail: a chef with a sense of responsibility is the best thing that can ever happen to a pig. Plus: this little piggy went to market...