Search results for "beyond meat"
- Food TrendsOctober 4, 2023Plant-based food: Meat or not meat, that is the question
According to a study by the University of Bonn, to continue feeding humanity in the future, we would have to reduce meat consumption by around 75% overall. However, the mainstream does not like the idea of completely doing without. But is...
- Food TechNovember 7, 2022The cultured meat market goes on safari
A New York start-up is promising to bring wild and exotic tastes to the table without harming any animals or the environment.
- Food TechJune 22, 2021Meat substitute: not a disclaimer
The popularity of plant-based meat substitutes continues. This constantly gives food startups new ideas that leave nothing to be desired in terms of taste. We took a closer look at five innovations.
- Food ManagementFebruary 7, 2019Mandating meat-free menus: has WeWork gone a step too far?
Coworking giant WeWork has taken meat off the menu for its employees. Should other companies be following suit?
- Food ManagementOctober 8, 2019Better than BEEF?
Meat 2.0: plant-based meat alternatives like beyond meat are all the rage these days. How this trend came about, what meatless meat is really made of, and how the battle of the fake meats is signaling a food industry revolution to...
- Food TrendsAugust 17, 2022How the future tastes – proteins do not always have to be animal
The title of Heinz Strunk's cult novel "Fleisch ist mein Gemüse" (Meat is my Vegetable) will soon be turned on its head. Meat substitutes from alternative vegan protein sources have long since begun to overtake animal protein.
- Food TrendsMay 28, 2022Taste-testing alternative protein burgers
More and more people are trying to go meatless for health, environmental, or ethical reasons, but not all of them are willing to say goodbye to burgers — which is why there’s an entire industry working on alternatives to meat patties,...
- Food TrendsMay 28, 2022Plant-based burger – a still growing market
Demand for plant-based meat is fast on the up. KTCHNrebel finds out how three of the market leading burgers stack up.
- Food PeopleApril 28, 2022Happy Ocean Foods: The Ocean Rescuers
Everyone is talking about meat substitutes, but what about fish substitutes? This is actually a no-brainer, since overfishing of the world's oceans has long been an issue. At least that is what Julian Hallet thinks. He is a co-founder of Happy...
- Food TrendsDecember 13, 2021Bring on the substitute
With the COP26 summit in Glasgow focusing minds on the imperative to change our ways to avoid catastrophic climate change, we could make a start by looking at the food we eat – with plant-based diets becoming increasing popular. But is...
- Food TrendsDecember 1, 2021Thank you for 3 years of loyalty!
In the last three years, since our online magazine saw the light of the food service world, over 1.5 million readers have visited us. We want to say:
- Food TrendsOctober 29, 2021Is the future of (fine) dining vegan?
From dubious whole-grain glop for militant hippies to Michelin-worthy culinary trend for the top chefs of tomorrow: why vegan food could become restaurants' new normal - and what giant power bills have to do with it.
- Food TrendsAugust 26, 2021The future is now – Food Report 2022
Corona has changed our consumption and eating habits for good. The reboot of the restaurant and hotel industry gives us a chance to change direction, therefore ensuring we stay on course for the future.
- Food ManagementMay 26, 2021A taste for change
“What’s good for the planet is good for us” is a major driving force behind the rise of plant-based eating. But, is it a sustainable trend or a passing fancy?
- Food ManagementDecember 21, 2020Sowing the seeds of success
Plant-based food is proving to be a growing and lucrative profit center for operators worldwide. Alongside the future potential in lab-grown meats, the market represents an opportunity big brands can no longer keep off the menu.
- Food TechOctober 5, 2020A tasteful step into the future
These are the times. Nobody knows what it will be like tomorrow, let alone the day after tomorrow. It is futile to ask what gastronomy will look like in the next few decades, what we should get ready for and how...
- Food TrendsJanuary 12, 2024Quality instead of junk: the street food trend
From premium döner kebabs to French tacos: Street food is a trend throughout Europe and indeed throughout the world, with high-quality offerings becoming increasingly popular. Junk is out. Quality is in.
- Food PeopleNovember 8, 2023Esben Holmboe Gang from Maaemo: Norway’s quiet culinary king
With his restaurant Maaemo, Esben Holmboe Gang has revolutionized Norway’s gastronomy and is bringing New Nordic Cuisine to the world. Here's why the quiet Dane still doesn't care much about being in the limelight – and needs limitations to be really...
- Food TrendsSeptember 1, 2023Why good company restaurants are more important than ever before
The role of company restaurants has changed significantly due to the coronavirus pandemic. One question in particular was raised: Do we still need them? The answer is now clear: They are more important than ever. Why even the seemingly best among...
- Food PeopleJuly 14, 2023Giuseppe Parisi: a culinary journey through Italy in the heart of London
For, Giuseppe Parisi, food was “at the heart” of his Italian childhood. The same sentiment rings true of his career. He has brought this love to his new role as executive chef of the Al Mare at The Carlton Tower Jumeirah...
- Food ManagementJune 21, 2023Cross over into the net: Professional chefs are offering cooking courses and workshops online
If corona has brought us anything positive, it’s the fine-tuning of our online skills. In many cases, coming across convincingly on screen has become a key survival skill. Chefs also resorted to microphones and cameras to keep in touch with their...
- Food TrendsJune 13, 2023This is the future of dining in 2073
It's not a peek into a crystal ball, but rather a promising scenario for the future based on data, data, data. This is what the future of gastronomy might look like in 2073, according to Euromonitor. Spoiler: Megatrends ahead!
- Food TrendsMay 10, 2023Plant-based seafood. The plant-based shrimp on trial.
The small, salmon-red (but plant-based) shrimp slides into the hot oil with a juicy sizzling sound. An unmistakable roasting aroma immediately. Fake wafts through the kitchen, and the gourmet's mouth starts watering. Various recipes with chili, garlic, sea salt and olive...
- Food PeopleMarch 22, 2023Carlos Gaytán: from dish washer to (Michelin) star
Carlos Gaytán made gastronomic history as the first Mexican chef ever awarded a Michelin star. Today, he is considered the most important ambassador for Mexican cuisine. How did this exceptional talent work his way up from the very bottom to the...
- Food TrendsJanuary 24, 2023A plant-powered start into the new year: The rise of Veganuary
Having inspired more than a million participants over nearly 10 years, Veganuary offers consumers and operators alike the opportunity to try out meat-free in the new year.
- Food TrendsNovember 24, 2022Food and football: What to expect from foodservice at the Qatar World Cup 2022
As three billion international viewers tune into the Football World Cup this month, Qatar has the opportunity to showcase its culture to the world, and food and foodservice will be one of the champions.
- Food PeopleNovember 2, 2022From nose to tail: That is why an increasing number of chefs are embracing breeding
Whether cattle, water buffalo, mangalitza pigs or poultry, many chefs are now breeding animals themselves. The motto here is from nose to tail. KTCHNrebel spoke to top chefs from Switzerland, Germany and France. A glimpse into a cooking philosophy beyond factory...
- Food ManagementApril 1, 2022ZERO WASTE: Don’t mess up!
The importance of food has finally become clear to us during the pandemic. Suddenly, the focus is on keeping restaurant kitchens cooking in such a way that no waste is produced. This has led to some exciting Zero Waste concepts.
- Food TrendsJanuary 5, 2022Top ten foodservice trends for 2022
Looking ahead to 2022 and beyond, to see the key trends that will dominate foodservice and hospitality
- Food TrendsDecember 30, 2021Green gastronomy – with a green conscience
Organic, fair trade, vegan, local – these seals are intended to increase transparency in food consumption and provide consumers with more oversight. The Greentable association also wants to establish the concept in the gastronomy industry. A look behind the scenes.
- Food TrendsDecember 28, 2021The future of virtual restaurants
Katie Morris explores how this sector will evolve in 2022 and beyond
- Food PeopleDecember 13, 2021Back to the roots
At Copenhagen's high-end restaurant AMASS, Californian Matt Orlando is bringing his vision of sustainability to life by making the most of leftovers culinary-wise. His hippie parents are partly responsible for this.
- Food PeopleSeptember 9, 2021Davide Caranchini: championing sustainability
Italian chef Davide Caranchini talked about his modern approach to sustainable cooking at his Lake Como restaurant Materia during a presentation at Madrid Fusión earlier this year. Tina Nielsen spoke to him at the event
- Food TrendsApril 29, 2021Tour de Beef
Farmers and producers in all corners of the world are playing around with creating the absolute best steak on the planet, in small quantities but on a grand scale. Why linseed oil turns calves into the most resilient cattle – and...
- Food PeopleFebruary 17, 2021Samba di São Paulo
With his carnivalesque menu selections, Brazilian Ivan Ralston brings São Paulo's unique multiculturalism to the plate. Find out why he berated the Michelin Guide over the phone and the story behind his jazz studies.
- Food ManagementDecember 3, 2020Certainty in change: predicting the next decade
‘Sure things’ might be easier to predict when the going is good, but how impacted are long-term restaurant trends when a global crisis strikes?
- Food ManagementOctober 13, 2020Saving the world spoon by spoon
Eating well and saving the climate – an impossible task? Not at all! Those who embark on a well-informed journey into the future of gastronomy will still be at the forefront tomorrow and beyond. The digital conference HolyTisch was full of...
- Food TrendsJanuary 13, 2020Eat Art – How art and design change the way we look at food
When artists and designers focus on food, the mind also gets nourishment. With their creations they go beyond the limits of what is possible, and reveal to us what the future might hold.
- Food PeopleNovember 18, 2019The science of good taste
Where do you find business partners in California? Google, sometimes. Brian Chau, a San Francisco-based food scientist, was looking for a place where he could develop new formulas in peace; Dan Mills was dreaming of opening a maker space where all...
- Food PeopleSeptember 30, 2019The boss in Portugal
Top chef and global player: Two-Michelin-star-holder José Avillez has revolutionized Portuguese cuisine, and his unparalleled restaurant empire now encompasses an unbelievable 18 locations.
- Food ManagementSeptember 26, 2019Generation ABC – Play food from the future
So everyone knows you shouldn't play with your food, right? Wrong! You can actually learn a lot by doing exactly this. The WIN WIN Sustainability Award Gothenburg has therefore designed a range of toys created for the 3D printer, which replicates...
- Food ManagementAugust 5, 2019Meals on Wheels – The new generation of food trucks
Sunday at the flea market. Throngs of early risers are wandering around the lot, munching on greasy chicken courtesy of the local food truck. Served with fries, because of course it is. Sounds familiar? But times, they are a’changin’: these new...
- Food ManagementMay 23, 2019The business case for plant-based burgers
Vegan burgers that look, taste and sizzle like the real thing, are proving a boom to restaurant operators. As costs come down and consumers continue to reduce their meat intake, the business case is only going to get more attractive.
- Food ManagementApril 25, 2019Anyone for crickets?
Plant-based, lab-grown and insect proteins may currently be at the fringe of the protein market, but as big money continues to roll in, all signs point to them staying the course.
- Food ManagementApril 15, 2019WHAT’S HOT in Concepts & Food: The 2019 TREND GUIDE
It almost seems like food these days is more about ethics than pleasure: Hip foodie lunchrooms are all about the sustainable, the nutritious, and the vegan. Getting rid of plastic straws is practically common courtesy anymore, and many places use it...
- Food ManagementFebruary 26, 2019Internorga’s food trends study 2019: Putting restaurant concepts under the microscope
Street food? Insect burgers? Over the past few years, restaurant trends have been multiplying as rapidly as yeast cultures during fermentation. (We’ll tell you in a minute why we picked that particular analogy.)
- Food PeopleFebruary 21, 2019Flavors of destiny
Star chef Mauro Colagreco has been making huge culinary waves on the Côte d’Azur since 2006. His restaurant, Mirazur, breaks down borders to rewrite the book on Mediterranean cuisine. Destiny obviously had a hand in Mauro Colagreco’s career. His story almost...
- Food TrendsFebruary 11, 201925 Best Chefs of Instagram 2019
Welcome to the Web’s culinary mecca! Instagram lets everyone from hobby cooks to Michelin-starred chefs give their followers a behind-the-scenes look at their kitchens. By dishing up bite-sized portions of “food porn”, brilliant gastronomic minds can expand their influence far beyond...
- Food PeopleJanuary 14, 2019Killer from Manila
From dishwasher to top chef: how shooting star and part-time ninja Bruce Ricketts is taking the capital of the Philippines by storm with his Japanese fusion food.
- Food TrendsDecember 21, 2018“Chef life has gotten a lot easier”
Architecture and shopping culture aren’t the only cutting-edge things about Dubai—it’s setting new food and beverage standards as well. Leading the charge is Steven Smalley, the UK native who joined the Hilton Dubai Jumeirah & Hilton The Walk hotel as its...